Author Topic: Device to make internet strength stronger in rink  (Read 5558 times)

Description:

Device to make internet strength stronger in rink
Topic: October 22, 2020, 08:12:57 AM
Has anybody heard of or know of any such device that might make the rinks internet or phone data strength stronger in the rink? I asked our rink and they said repeaters would work but only for them with their wireless system. Is there anyway for a guest to get a stronger signal? We are trying to stream games and the quality is bad.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #1:
 October 22, 2020, 08:37:22 AM
I haven't had any luck finding one either. I did end up buying a monopod and configured it to hold two phones. One phone strictly records video. I use this file to upload to YouTube later to share with the parents.
The other phone is the streaming phone that I use for the live feed. I've been mainly using Facebook live for this as YouTube changed some of the rules for live streaming.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 October 22, 2020, 08:52:11 AM
We asked the rink manager and they told us the only way to stream a good normal picture is with an encoder and you need a direct network connection not wireless. They keep getting asked and thats the only answer.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #3:
 October 22, 2020, 11:21:34 AM
We tried Facebook, perescope and twitch and the pixeling is garbage on the tv. There has to be a better way to increase the wifi connection in the rink.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #4:
 October 22, 2020, 04:05:35 PM
copying my post from the other thread on the same topic:

Any streaming service will be limited by bandwidth.  It really only works well with good wifi connection.

We use an iPad and Periscope private group.  At the same time the game is streaming, I use the screen recorder on the ipad.  This allows me to upload better quality recording to a private YouTube channel (technically - I upload the videos as unlisted and send out links).  The quality on the youtube upload will be much higher than the streamed quality.  It also helps keep the videos around longer since Periscope removes them for everyone except the creator after 24 hours.

The screen recorder takes up a lot of space and takes hours to "write" to the camera roll.  I suggest dropping the recording settings from 1024 to 720 to make the size more manageable.  You also will not have sound on the YouTube videos.... but it is something that you can actually see.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #5:
 October 22, 2020, 04:40:19 PM
 ;) I'm not looking to derail this topic, I'm just asking for clarification about the iPad recording....

What are you using to put the files together after you've recorded on the iPad and why does it take hours?

I've been using the iPad for the past 4 years. I record every game full HD 1920x1080p 30fps. The resulting combined .mov video clips from the iPad account for roughly 5 GB total.

I offload from the iPad after the game to my laptop which takes about 3 mins with the lightning cable. It takes about 2 mins to merge the clips into one full game video file, my choice of file type is .mp4 at full quality. I use a program called Wondershare Filmora 9. The video is compressed to about 3GB and I lose no quality at all. Then I immediately upload the video to Youtube, it takes about 10 mins to upload and process to SD over wireless and about 30 mins total to process to HD. At most I normally spend approx 30 mins total from conversion to being able to view on Youtube. I have made about 500 games this way. 

The games look like they were recorded with professional cameras, clear as day on any size screen, no pixelation, no blotches, zero quality loss.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #6:
 October 27, 2020, 12:48:03 PM
I understand what you are doing with you iPad and it makes sense.  The reason that it is different for me is that there are not clips, it is one hour and fifteen clip which ends up pretty large.  The reason is that I am streaming the game via Periscope at the same time so I need to screen record myself Periscoping...  Thank you for the information though.

But, when I do hav eto merge clips, I use Movavi.  I will check out Filmora.  Thanks
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #7:
 October 27, 2020, 01:31:53 PM
also, forgot to mention that it takes hours for the one hour screen recording to write to the camera roll. You can see that the storage is used but there is nothing in the camera roll until it writes... 

I cannot do shorter clips and periscope at the same time because when the recording starts to write to camera roll, it breaks the Periscope and have to start over.  I really just need two separate devices...  but this is getting me by.   
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #8:
 October 27, 2020, 03:33:07 PM
Got it. What is the screen recorder app you're using? Sounds like it's recording with no compression into a raw video file. With no compression, the files will always be huge.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #9:
 October 28, 2020, 09:06:44 AM
The screen recorder is the one built into IOS.  That is a good point, maybe there is a better one that would allow me to fix some other issues (audio and the ability to pause).  Thanks, I am going to check around.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase: