Author Topic: Spring Hockey  (Read 566 times)

Description:

Reply #10:
 April 30, 2024, 02:52:06 PM
Unless you are connected, don't fool yourself into thinking the District PeeWee Quebec "tryouts" are anything more than a donation.  Each team is already 95% selected. 

This is true about Brick, Quebec and most Tier 1 AAA teams as well. Hockey is the one sport where talent loses out to connections. I have a son playing hockey who is AAA on a District top 5 team and his team has maybe 1 opening every year. I have a son who plays soccer at the equivalent to AAA and every year the players are on edge because they bring in about 5-6 new players per year.  When it comes to tryouts, ice hockey is a joke. It is more about who you know than how good you are!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest17150,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted heartreaction:
Guest14063,

Reply #11:
 May 02, 2024, 10:55:02 AM
Unless you are connected, don't fool yourself into thinking the District PeeWee Quebec "tryouts" are anything more than a donation.  Each team is already 95% selected. 

This is true about Brick, Quebec and most Tier 1 AAA teams as well. Hockey is the one sport where talent loses out to connections. I have a son playing hockey who is AAA on a District top 5 team and his team has maybe 1 opening every year. I have a son who plays soccer at the equivalent to AAA and every year the players are on edge because they bring in about 5-6 new players per year.  When it comes to tryouts, ice hockey is a joke. It is more about who you know than how good you are!

not 100% true, if the kid is not good at all he will not be on the team, if the kid is OK and have connections, he will end up on the team (as oppose same kid w/o connection would have no chance). If the kid is very good/amazing he will get on the team regardless of connections.

I've seen both, connected and just OK kid and really good kids. The issue with connected kids, even though they get on the team ( taking someone else's spot ) they are not getting much of ice time at all ( making those connected parents really unhappy )
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #12:
 May 02, 2024, 01:29:12 PM

Hockey is one of many sports were connections matter more than talent.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest15087,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #13:
 May 02, 2024, 03:07:25 PM
I have 5 kids with 4 playing sports. I have not experienced anything like ice hockey though. Most teams have maybe 1-2 openings. In other sports it is more like 50% of returning kids make the team. Other sports do not let the coaches choose the teams. They have outside evaluators come and grade each kid. The coach then gets his say and the evaluators choose the team. Ice hockey should be the same, but it is not. Most coaches choose their teams and that is why ice hockey is a mess!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #14:
 Today at 08:06:42 AM
I have 5 kids with 4 playing sports. I have not experienced anything like ice hockey though. Most teams have maybe 1-2 openings. In other sports it is more like 50% of returning kids make the team. Other sports do not let the coaches choose the teams. They have outside evaluators come and grade each kid. The coach then gets his say and the evaluators choose the team. Ice hockey should be the same, but it is not. Most coaches choose their teams and that is why ice hockey is a mess!
I only have 4 kids that play club soccer, baseball, softball, ice hockey and volleyball. My 2 daughter's softball and volleyball teams only have openings if someone moves away. They had yrs were nobody left so no tryout was held. My sons tournament baseball team is the only one that has legit tryouts every year. The core of his hockey team has been together for over 6yrs with only a couple players moving on or off the team. My oldest daughter's soccer club is the same way. When you watch teams that have been together for some time you can tell a difference from the ones that have a big roster over haul every year and that goes for all sports.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #15:
 Today at 12:57:14 PM
Not as many kids paly softball and volleyball. Soccer turnover happens more as the kids age and the higher the level of play. If you are playing Academy level soccer, there are 5-6 players per yea in turnover. If you are playing just regular club turnover is minimal. I find this entire argument stupid. Ice hockey is probably the worst atmosphere I have seen in sports. Parents are crazy, coaches lie every time they open their mouths, and hockey directors just want $. There is an element of players that are disrespectful to adults, sexist, racist, and have curse like a drunken sailor from the time they are in mites. The higher the level, the worst the players act. I am very happy my kids are not as in love with hockey as they used to be. Soccer, football, lacrosse & track are becoming their sports. It is shame because all 3 of my kids are Tier 1 players and have a shot to play in college, but they are just losing their taste for the sport due to all the things I have mentioned above. Every teammate in other sports are more respectful and better human beings than 70% of my kids hockey teammates. This starts with the parents but is allowed by the hockey organizations. Every organization makes you sign code of conduct (parents & players) but they never enforce it. If NJ, NY & PA hockey do not change their cultures, more parents will be leaving just like we are. I know I will get backlash on this and people will tell me it is because our organization sucks. However all Tier 1 orgs have the same attitude as ours and the parents/players are so full of themselves at Tier 1 nothing will change. I have cousins in Minnesota and they say East coast hockey is the worst. MN has suck a better culture and this is why they produce so many great players compared to the rest of the US. I agree with them 100% and can't wait until this upcoming season is over. All my kids said they do not want to play after this season. Our gain and hockey's loss. You all suck!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #16:
 Today at 01:59:56 PM
Biggest joke and money grab for spring teams is DM. Nothing like paying all that money to sandbag most tournaments. From the mouth of one person who ran Spring Teams in the past: "I made BANK this summer on just 2 tournaments!" Spring teams are pure money grabs for rinks and coaches. But don't forget the parents that also form these teams and "Make Bank" too.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

Girls hockey for spring and summer tournaments

Started by JmfarrierBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 10
Views: 9664
Last post March 19, 2019, 08:36:53 PM
by Youth Hockey Info
Youth Hockey Spring/Summer Tourney Teams