Author Topic: Release from a contract???  (Read 15667 times)

Description:

Reply #10:
 August 19, 2020, 05:13:52 PM
A few years ago we were required to pay full season fees to obtain our release from Palmyra Black Knights
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #11:
 August 19, 2020, 09:57:29 PM
the old moving from Tier 2 to Tier 1 is always dangerous..... I would rather have my kid play a lot and have fun with friends then be the 10th forward.

Remember this is about Little Freddy, not Big Freddy
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #12:
 August 20, 2020, 07:24:22 AM
When there are more players on the tier 2 roster than the Tier 1 roster .... you play less at tier 2 in games again weaker slower competition and you get a lot less out of practice.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #13:
 August 20, 2020, 10:45:17 AM
Since I don’t personally know the player I’ll shy away from commenting on his ability or potential to play Tier1.

Also being a new to the area I think we should give this parent benefit of the doubt. I’ve witnessed some clubs eval/tryout process under normal circumstances and have seen some very suspect decisions made. Given this team placement was of a kid unknown to the area void of *any* evaluation or tryouts, again I think we give them a break.

That said there is some validity to warning them about the Tier1 jump as many Tier1 teams could be left scraping for players given all the uncertainty surrounding this season and may just be trying to fill roster spots ($).

Without knowing the Tier2 program they are leaving and the Tier1 program they want to join this is all conjecture.

Regardless the decision should be left up to the parents. 

In my program if a player or parent is unhappy with their placement, we simply give them their release. No harm, no foul... Personally as a coach with playing experience I see zero value in forcing a family to stay where they are unhappy. All this does is creates toxicity that can become contagious and very detrimental to an otherwise solid team and or program culture. Simply losing 1 is better than losing 15.

However at most programs the chances of getting a release is slim to none.

That said as far as I am aware there is no release needed for an upward move from Tier2 to Tier1 regardless of anyone’s perceived legitimacy.

Although you will almost certainly forfeit an monies already paid and/or be held to the total financial obligation of the contract.

I would read the contract you signed and also reach out to the corresponding league president and confirm what is allowed and what is not so you know what you are negotiating with when asking for the release.

-ND
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #14:
 August 22, 2020, 11:54:10 PM

I would read the contract you signed and also reach out to the corresponding league president and confirm what is allowed and what is not so you know what you are negotiating with when asking for the release.

-ND

Been there. Done that. League/District will be of no help. It's a contract issue they'll say. But it's the DVHL Contract that binds a player to a team and sets the financial obligation BEFORE STEPPING FOOT ON THE ICE. Horrible practice.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted angry1:
Guest17482,
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #15:
 August 24, 2020, 08:07:51 AM
we all know that USA hockey is a dues/insurance "structure" with the "it's the science" stretch for a legitimate product.  Annual mandatory dues with affiliate fees, coaching fees, etc, etc.  See how well that insurance works when someone gets hurt.  Almost an MLM structure.  But hey, everyone needs a job.  Sadly, youth hockey has been systemized $$$.  Can't even find a good house league these days.  keep paying for those clinics though, coach has car payments!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #16:
 September 03, 2020, 12:46:17 AM
Hockey may be the only sport with so much red tape. What other sport makes you request a waiver to leave?

It's no secret that the teams are usually formed without regard to actual talent or athletic ability. It's generally a Dad-coach-fest.

Many kids that are much more talented do not reach the level they deserve with a certain organization, why not just let them go without the hassle.

A friend of ours was on our team last year. Think it was a low level A. Was not happy and went to different club, now he is a AA.

Youth Hockey may be one of the few sports that seems to exist on more of a political placement rather than a merit based assignment.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest12650,Guest15909,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #17:
 September 03, 2020, 10:05:19 AM
"why not just let them go without the hassle"

two words:  money
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #18:
 May 16, 2021, 10:13:52 PM
Question for a friend. They were told on first night of tryouts their child would placed on a 13 Pure team for the coming season. They were fine with that and based on that information from the club, signed and paid their contract in full. The next day the club decided to change the designation down to a 14A. The parent is very upset that the club changed after they paid and feels misled and wants out of the contract but the club refuses completely. Do they have any recourse?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #19:
 May 17, 2021, 08:55:58 AM
No but why would the person pay the entire tuition up front? Buyer beware.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase: