Poll

New body checking enforcement and penalization

It's out of control, everything is a 2 and 10.
83 (38.1%)
No continuity, calls are rarely uniform.
110 (50.5%)
It's everything I thought it would be, I like it.
13 (6%)
I don't care, pass me a beer.
12 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 218

Author Topic: 2 months in - Re-visiting USA Hockey Checking Rules  (Read 10266 times)

Description:
2 months in - Re-visiting USA Hockey Checking Rules
Topic: October 15, 2019, 07:43:17 AM

Original Topic available for review: USA Hockey ratifies drastic body checking changes

Well, here we are folks, 2 months in. Lets get your opinions. How are the newly enforced checking rules working out for you?

Based on the existing rules that didn't change. USA hockey announced calls for checking would be enforced with a new stringent set of rules which would determine if physical body checking is legal or illegal.

Poll attached, please cast your vote above and comment below to voice your opinion.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bardown

Reply #1:
 October 15, 2019, 08:05:51 AM
It'd be nice to let the kids finish a game where the ref isn't calliing every single play where the kids make minimal body contact and the judgement is made because one of them fell down.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 October 15, 2019, 08:40:20 AM
The decisions based on the outcome of a hit have to stop. I mean really most of the time it's kids who just don't like being hit who act like they got blown up. My guy gets a 2 and 10 and their guy who got hit is right back out the next shift. He just acted like he was dead for 5 minutes and now all of sudden there's no problem at all? Come on stripes get your shit together.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #3:
 October 15, 2019, 09:08:11 AM
I like it so far and hope the refs keep calling the 2 and 10s. Itll make the kids think twice before they go barreling into defenseless players and injuries will go down. Keep up the great work refs!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #4:
 October 15, 2019, 09:33:59 AM
THE ANSWER IS EASY. GET RID OF BODY CHECKING IN YOUTH HOCKEY! EVERYBODY FRUSTRACTION RESOLVED! IF REF MAKES CALL ON A HIT WITH NO BODY CHECKING THERE IS NO ROOM FOR INTERPRETATION!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #5:
 October 15, 2019, 10:00:59 AM
Yeah, let’s do that. Actually, while we’re at it, why don’t we just go ahead and take all physical contact out of football too!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #6:
 October 15, 2019, 12:40:11 PM
2 daughters in 2 weeks @ 19U level....2 & 10 for incidental contact.  AND when they went over to the opponent to check on them they were smiling, the ref asked if they are okay, they say "No".....you're out!  WTH ?!  So, in a brief exposure to the new enforcement of these rules has shown to us that it has led to more embellishment.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #7:
 October 15, 2019, 03:31:29 PM
The hit from behind penalty has such a gray area. There has to be some responsibility on the player receiving the check to not turn into the boards. I see players that are stronger skaters hit a weaker skater and get a penalty because a player isn't strong on their skates. These issues get resolved with better coaching.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #8:
 October 15, 2019, 05:04:40 PM
The 2 and 10 is a stupid rule.  At minimum it should be 5 min major and 10.  The 2 minute minor for a hit from behind or to the head is totally ridiculous.  My sons team took a too many men 15 seconds into a 2 and 10 pp and negated the power play.  Too many men, trip or any other minor penalty cancelling out a Hit from behind is just ridiculous.  If it was a 5 minute major,  coaches would do a better job teaching checking and take issue with kids hitting from behind when it puts the team down a man and unlimited goals could be scored.  It would be a game changer.   With that said, a clean hard hit shouldnt be a penalty Either which I see called because a kid gets drilled.  Its a physical game but the hits from behind and hits to the head have to be eliminated.  I wish this idea would get back to USA hockey
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #9:
 October 15, 2019, 09:49:49 PM
Solution:  Get USAH out of youth hockey. Instead of idiotic rule changes simply teach players to check properly from a young age. That way they  learn to properly check and be checked when they cannot do any real damage. By the time they are Bantams it’s just part of the game. Actual hits from behind and intentional blows to the head thankfully are rare. Far too many penalties are called for nonsense.  It’s a physical sport. If you don’t like the contact go try Cup stacking.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

USA Hockey ratifies drastic body checking changes

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 16
Views: 21191
Last post October 19, 2019, 06:59:57 AM
by Guest
Study Shows Banning Checking In Youth Hockey Does Not Reduce Concussions