Author Topic: Player far and above superior  (Read 6838 times)

Description:

Player far and above superior
Topic: January 09, 2020, 09:09:24 AM
I haven't really formed an opinion on this, the people I know are vastly split, and I am curious as to how you all feel.  In my area, school hockey teams are about 25% travel team kids (AA, A and B) and the rest a variety of levels- former travel, rec league etc.  Teams aren't officially recognized by the school (they are technically clubs) so they aren't in yearbooks, etc. There is one school team that has a player who is on a AAA nationally ranked team,  He is one of their stars and already being "looked at."  Because of travel, he makes about 50% of the games, but is still the county scoring leader by a wide margin.  When he is at a game, the point spread will always be at least 10, and over 90% of the goals are his.  He will generally be told to stop shooting by 3rd period, but they keep him on the ice, so he plays with his opponent, "rope a dopes" them as it were.  (It can be embarrassing to the other kids on the ice playing against him).  I have heard that parents (and many players) on his own team prefer games when he isn't there, because then their kids get to really play.  When other teams know he is playing, they don't want to play and the number of "sick" kids rises dramatically.

The kid is actually a nice kid off ice.  And he is an amazing player, a beauty to watch in AAA games.  But in school games, its an awful hour watching him dominate everyone on his shifts (which are almost 50% given the small rosters of most teams).  So here's my question- We all know he CAN play for his school.  But should he?  What is in it for him?  Your thoughts?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #1:
 January 09, 2020, 11:30:24 AM
We run into this at our MS league.  While most teams are have a good number of club players, there is one team that has a Tier 1 AAA player that dominates. And he too, from what I hear, is a great kid off the ice.  I hear it from parents and players, "he shouldnt play here".  But he is still a kid, and he probably really enjoys playing with his friends in a low pressure environment.  I say let them play.   For my kids, school hockey is more of a fun time playing with friends and against some current and old teammates.   
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 January 09, 2020, 11:37:41 AM
You are looking at it the wrong way. These kids are fortunate a talented player is playing in the league. If more talented kids played in these leagues it would help all the kids.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #3:
 January 09, 2020, 11:37:57 AM
Its highschool hockey and unless you are in Minnesota its always been this way. There will always be at least 1 guy who dominates the league but hes not always on the best team anyway. Let them have fun its not up to the kids who plays its up to the coaches. The kids should voice their opinion to the coaching staff if its a collective argument they are all in agreement with.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #4:
 January 09, 2020, 11:43:30 AM
You are kidding right?  Are you really suggesting that a child should not be able to play hockey with his classmates & friends because he is too good?  Do you realize how silly that sounds?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #5:
 January 09, 2020, 12:01:25 PM
The sad part is he's not kidding. How pathetic.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #6:
 January 09, 2020, 12:09:16 PM
Please tell me this post isn’t serious?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #7:
 January 09, 2020, 12:30:08 PM
First off, While it is a club sport, our school still recognizes it as a school sport and kids have to follow rules like all other sports- meet certain grade levels, can't play if you miss school because of sickness. They also get varsity letters, have pictures in the yearbook, all the trophies are kept at school, etc.

Honestly, there's nothing you can do in the situation. You can fault the kid for being too good. My only concern would be, if he is that good and being "looked at", is playing HS hockey worth it from an injury perspective? Like you said, skill level is all over the place. I would be afraid of getting my knee taken out by some bender.

Also, is this a PA or NJ school? Thought I had a decent read on the PA teams so trying to figure out who this is.

dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #8:
 January 09, 2020, 01:41:34 PM
IMO its asinine of the parents to have the kid play 5-6 games (not even enough to qualify for play offs), and risk injury, in a game where they gain nothing (or even lose) playwise and look like a d-bag when they aren't.  You don't see D1 kids playing beer league.  If there are any good reasons, I don't see them.  When I see it it always makes me want to laugh because it reminds me of the South Park episode where they play the Red Wings

BTW- for some of the responders, there are places where the school team is "school' in name only.  No letter, no yearbook, no connection to the school whatsoever.  Schools in non-hockey areas don't want to incur the expense of a program so the county or Parish runs it. 
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #9:
 January 09, 2020, 02:17:07 PM
This can't be sout eastern pa high school hockey. Shshl and icshl follow the piaa standards.

PIAA - Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

Air Force Academy Hockey Player Mitch Torrel Lead Thai Cave Rescue

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 0
Views: 8451
Last post August 07, 2018, 01:11:52 PM
by Youth Hockey Info
Sad News - Local Youth Hockey Player Dies in Tragic Skiing Accident