Author Topic: Summer Tournament Nightmare  (Read 11203 times)

Description:

Summer Tournament Nightmare
Topic: July 12, 2022, 04:07:26 PM
I rarely post but felt I had to about this.  Players on the team in question play on multiple different AAA teams and I do not want any repercussions. I will remain anonymous

Great Tournament in Woodbridge this weekend! However, I am compelled to post about the behavior from the Squirt "Select" team during our two games. The actions of certain parents was atrocious (and I am being nice)! With one of these parents' reputation known at every ice rink in NJ! The yelling at the kids and threatening behavior towards our parents was nothing short of intimidating and scary! Other "Select" parents seemed embarrassed by this. Coaches and parents constantly yelling at the refs should not have been tolerated! Reckless and dangerous play from multiple players should have resulted in ejections! Chopping at our goalie after the whistle should have resulted in multiple penalties (so proud of our goalie for staying focused). Their coaches & parents were encouraging this "way to be aggressive" style of play. Their coach was still arguing with one ref long after the semi-final game was over and both teams had left the ice! I am told this coach has a terrible reputation with refs because of his antics last season with his full ice mite team. News flash: YOU DID NOT LOSE BECAUSE OF THE REFS!  The shame of all this is they had some really good players. They may have won the tournament if they had better coaching.

It is a testament to the tournament officials and the four other Squirt teams that this event was so much fun! We look forward to next years tournament and hope this "Selects" team does not attend!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #1:
 July 12, 2022, 05:36:00 PM
Not shocked at all that a summer select team had issues at a tournament. This is why I don't let my kid play summer!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 July 13, 2022, 07:01:10 AM
No one cares about spring/summer hockey!  That's why no one replied to your first post on this topic in a different thread. 

It's well known that these "select" teams as you call it (which is really just a bunch of friends from all over playing together) are undisciplined and give a half-ass effort.  My kid has played on lots of teams similar to that over the years.  Let it go and enjoy the ride.  If you don't like the style of hockey, find something else to do on a beautiful weekend in July.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #3:
 July 13, 2022, 08:26:13 AM
Started to read….got as far as AAA and Squirt and stopped….unfortunate but nothing new, especially at this level where everyone thinks their kid is the next McDavid
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest11374,Guest13716,Guest18480,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #4:
 July 13, 2022, 08:44:04 AM
This is perfect. End the thread.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #5:
 July 13, 2022, 10:04:22 AM
Imagine how the selects felt entering a tournament in a Woodbridge arena in an A division to have to face the 2012 Woodbridge AAA team one could understand their frustration.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest14399,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #6:
 January 10, 2023, 06:15:25 PM
Real question:
Where does this POV come from? I hear all the time parents lol'ing any mention of AAA at mites or squirts. And I just don't get it.  What's so wrong with having kids who develop faster play with each other? 

Just curious, did you or your kid play AAA or tier 1 hockey?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest15522,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #7:
 January 24, 2023, 02:57:17 PM
Imagine how the selects felt entering a tournament in a Woodbridge arena in an A division to have to face the 2012 Woodbridge AAA team one could understand their frustration.

Imagine a Zelects team that had 5 AAA players, 7 AA players and 2 AAA mite players entering an A division tournament!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #8:
 February 03, 2023, 08:55:48 AM
welcome to spring/summer tournament hockey, this is nothing new and it won't change.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #9:
 March 02, 2023, 01:28:17 PM
Zelects Coach (ex-coach of Pilots) is coaching 2013 AAA Mercer Chiefs in 23-24. WOW!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase: