Author Topic: Sportsmanship and community  (Read 5126 times)

Description:

Sportsmanship and community
Topic: October 28, 2019, 10:32:10 AM
I manage my son's mite U8 hockey team and my son loves it.  He loves his teammates, he loves tourneys, and he loves meeting kids from different rinks in different cities.  When he puts on his Bauer team suit and pulls his hockey bag(that is still bigger than him), he glows a little like he is a mini celebrity.  I see that same glow in all of the kids and I love that.

This weekend at the Halloween Howl tourney in Hershey PA, I met a kid whose glow was dimmed because of the Long Island Seagulls and I also saw my son (who in all honesty can be a jerk) show the very best of himself.

The LI Seagulls coaches must be compensating for small packages in their pants to play down their team in a tournament just to win - what a shitty experience for those kids as well as the teams they faced who placed themselves appropriately.  One of our coaches took a look at their record for the weekend and in four games, they scored 82-3 - a 79 goal differential with 2 shutouts.  We played them and our boys denied their shutout scoring two points.  I had several parents who watched our game from other teams come over and comment on the heart our boys showed and how well they played considering they were half the size.  They never backed down, they never took dirty hits, and they played clean hockey instead of downright nasty play inappropriate for any age, but especially mites.  And our boys were thrilled with their play - THEY came off the ice knowing they played a team that should have been A or AA ranked and they were happy they were all still standing and scored on them twice.

What broke my heart and did me proud was a kid from another team.  When the Long Island Shitgulls, I mean Seagulls played another team who we shared a locker room with during the tourney - a little boy who was probably 6 years old from the team they opposed (and shut out) asked my son as he held back his tears ..."Do you ever crosscheck someone and then kick him when he is down?"  My son got up and sat next to him and said "NO, that is not how you do it.  Did someone do that to you?"  the boy said "Yes, the really big kid on the Seagulls did it to me an no one cared.  I don't want to play them ever again."  My son (who is only 7) tapped this kid on the head and told him not to worry that not all teams are dirty - mostly just jerks from Long Island. The little boy, Zach, laughed and wiped his eyes and my son laughed too.  Here we are from Philly and this kid Zach from Pittsburgh and they connected and bonded... I was so proud of my son for taking a minute to show empathy.  And when my son scored one of two goals we got in our game against the shitgulls later that day, he told me it was for Zach.

Shame on you Seagulls - shame on every last adult tied to that organization. I don't blame your kids for  playing dirty - they learned from you and you should be ashamed.  Just know, you may or may not have won this tournament, but deep down you know you are shit, and your kids may not know exactly what they feel, but they likely know it is a hollow victory.  I betcha none of those little hooligans make it to the NHL - why don't you teach them some qualities that make them better PEOPLE in the world.

A mom, a manager, and a lover of the game.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

tree408

Reply #1:
 October 28, 2019, 11:42:31 AM
Sounds like you're raising a quality young man.

Also, be glad you didn't play their '05 team or you would have found a nice surprise in the players gear bags.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 October 28, 2019, 11:42:45 AM
Here's the schedule with scores

HALLOWEEN HOWL SCHEDULE 2019 - Google Sheets
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #3:
 October 28, 2019, 12:07:43 PM
The Tournament Director and staff certainly have some blame here (during/after the first game at least).  Sandbagging sucks, but when teams/orgs are allowed to sandbag with no impact or changes, it's then on everyone else for looking the other way (or just having to complain into the void).
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #4:
 October 28, 2019, 12:20:16 PM
Hershey's tournaments are the worst, IMO.  I have seen it for years.  Some companies run quality tournaments and do their very best to place teams in the appropriate divisions.  Others are just glad to take the checks.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #5:
 October 30, 2019, 12:11:34 AM
what division were you guys in i had a team there as well also played a long island team
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #6:
 October 30, 2019, 02:52:26 AM
Not for nothing... you're on here talking about teaching kids better qualities to make them better people in the world, when all you're really doing is talking sh**. Case in point, "The LI Seagulls coaches must be compensating for small packages in their pants to play down their team in a tournament just to win" and "Shitgulls". I get it, 5 years in and my son and his teams have had this happen in at least 1 tournament every year, (most notably at Hershey tournaments). But if we're talking sportsmanship, and community, and teaching kids better qualities to help shape them into upstanding citizens, I suggest you take a page from your own book. Do I personally agree with playing down in tournaments just to take home a trophy? Absolutely not. But sadly it happens all too frequently. And if you're getting this bent out of shape at mites, I can't wait to see you when the games actually matter. Losing is a part of life, and teaching our kids how to lose is an incredibly valuable lesson.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #7:
 October 30, 2019, 09:39:33 AM
No respect for teams that run up the score like that, once the game is out of hand you start passing the puck around and stop shooting every chance you get.  Nothing to be gained by embarrassing another team like that.  You can blame the tournament for placing teams in the wrong divisions, but ultimate the blame falls on the jerk coaches who don’t take the foot off the gas.  I’m sure those kids were still celebrating their 23rd and 24th goals.  No class.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #8:
 October 30, 2019, 10:19:12 AM
Sadly thats the objective of tournaments, to blow out the other team an humiliate them if you can. Tournament tie brakers are decided on goal differential no matter how many or little.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #9:
 November 01, 2019, 12:08:37 PM
We were playing B - I feel like all the LI teams come down to PA and play down since the (possibly) cannot compete at a lower level by misrepresenting closer to their neck of the woods.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase: