Right now, just want to get my kid on the ice to skate, see friends. I don't care if there's a fall travel league or not. Frankly, I think it could do a lot of families and kids good to dial back, put sports back in perspective as part of a whole life and not have the rest of life revolve around crazy car travel and umpteen games in one weekend. If the most rinks/leagues can safely offer is in-house and no travel, that's fine.
Honestly, I think kids are going to have just as much fun even if the most they get out of this fall is some skating practice, stick and puck, drills and maybe some pick-up and scrimmage games. I've heard more than one kid say the worst part about playing is the parents in the stands, so if parents need to stay out and figure out something else to do with their lives than make kids miserable over not skating/shooting the puck/whatever they yell at kids... for a lot of kids, this may be the best fall ever.
And it will be interesting to see what a summer of staying off the ice, getting a mental break from the grind and really cross-training can do for "serious" players' game.
As for safety at the rink, I'd be ok with kids getting dressed in the car, walking in with hard guards and mask, getting on the ice, skating/drills, getting off, walking right back outside again. If that's what it takes, no argument from us, we're in. If practice is early a.m. before dawn because rinks need to spread out ice with fewer kids on a session, that's fine. If it means teams do more off ice together, I'm fine with that. So is my kid.