Author Topic: Why does AAHA hold tryouts a week or two earlier than PVAHA?  (Read 2977 times)

Description:

PVAHA teams (CBHL) are holding tryouts this weekend.

A little bird told me that AAHA doesn't follow the USAH rules. 

Any truth to that?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #1:
 April 22, 2022, 12:15:39 PM
I'm not sure USA Hockey dictates evaluations.  Do you typically get a big CBHL draw from South Jersey or PA?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 April 22, 2022, 12:37:14 PM
PVAHA teams (CBHL) are holding tryouts this weekend.

A little bird told me that AAHA doesn't follow the USAH rules. 

Any truth to that?

Nope.

USAH does not allow tryouts for Nationals eligible teams until after the Nationals are held.  This year they ended on April 4.  That restriction does not apply to teams not eligible for Nationals.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #3:
 April 22, 2022, 06:00:33 PM
I believe the restriction is 48 hours after the end of the National Championship. Tier 1 then typically goes first as soon as they are allowed to and then Tier 2 goes the following week in AAHA.  The question isn't why the Atlantic goes early, they don't. The question is why the Potomac Valley goes late.

There is some crossover for kids who live in extreme Southern PA or Delaware. Places like Southwestern Chester County, York, and obviously Northern Delaware are close enough to go down there and there are some that do.  It doesn't impact many players or teams but it does impact some.  The organization it really impacts would probably be Tomorrow's Ice.  They play in the AHF Central now and all of the other teams in that league/division are allowed to eval 2 weeks earlier than they are (Ducks and Team Philly, in particular, compete for a couple of the same kids as TI does).  It's a disadvantage for any kids who might want to cross over and play down there when they get to tryout age rather than evals.  If you tryout for an Atlantic team and they offer you a AA spot, they aren't going to want to wait 2 weeks for you to decide if you want it while you are waiting for TI to be allowed to hold tryouts.  The musical chair game is, for the most part, over by that point.

If it were me and I ran TI that would be something I would try to find a way to work around with PVAHA, if only  for players who reside in the Atlantic, and the Selects teams (because those are the only ones impacted by the disparity in tryout dates).  Either that or the PVAHA needs to change their dates.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

2018 North Penn Ice Hockey High School Tryouts

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard Knights Archives

Replies: 0
Views: 3774
Last post August 14, 2018, 08:16:41 AM
by Youth Hockey Info
PHILADELPHIA LITTLE FLYERS '07 PW MAJOR TRYOUTS - 2019-2020 SEASON

Started by GuestBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 5
Views: 7605
Last post March 19, 2019, 11:36:53 PM
by Guest
TRYOUTS! It's that time of year again....

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 2
Views: 5765
Last post March 12, 2019, 03:48:38 PM
by Guest
2019 AAHA 18AA District CHAMPS

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 2
Views: 8654
Last post April 09, 2019, 03:31:38 PM
by Guest
2019 AAHA 14AA District CHAMPS