Maybe because I have been with the Hawks that I don't have an objective opinion, but I think they have way more of a track record fielding AA teams(even when they shouldn't have) over sandbagging. Yes, they had a PW A American team that went undefeated in 16-17. That team should have been National, but knowing that coach, I think it was more of underestimating the talent, than sandbagging.
The PW A American team in 15-16 was 2nd place. Looking back at that roster, most of those kids came up from a very bad PW B team from the previous season so declaring as A American was probably the correct choice. A few of those kids really took off that year. Again, wouldn't call that sandbagging.
The 16-17 PW A American was 15-4, but in 6th place. Looking at that roster, a lot of those kids came up from a below .500 Squirt A National team, so again, A American was probably the correct level to choose.
This year was the first time in forever they didn't field a Bantam AA team. They chose to play A National and were I think the 2nd place team. Should they have played AA, probably. I think the coach made the decision based off of his 2 previous AA seasons where those teams didn't compete well at all.
Look at the banners hanging in the Skatium, most of them are 10-15 years old. This club doesn't win much.